Civil District Court
Judicial District Court Building Commission

The Judicial Civil District Court Project for Orleans Parish

Home Page

CDC History

CDC Problems

Recent Courthouses

The Charity Proposal

Reference Documents / RFQ

Image of the Courthouse

Design Standards

Project Financing

Your Comments

Questions/Answers

Civil District Court History - 130 plus years of service:

The Civil District Court for the Parish of Orleans was created by the Constitution of 1879. Over the past 130 years, it is reported that the CDC has occupied four different locations; Benjamin Franklin High School on Carrollton Ave, the Presbytere, 400 Royal (current Supreme Court building) and currently 421 Loyola Avenue.

Constructed in the late 1950s, the current Civil District courthouse was conceived as part of a major public works program that included the main library, the Supreme Court building, City Hall and the State Office building. The courthouse was completed in 1960 at a cost of $2,500,000. In spite of a major addition and renovations in the mid 1980s, the courthouse facilities have served with distinction but have far exceeded their useful life. These facilities need to be replaced.

Civil District Court was reported to be located at
The Benjamin Franklin School on Carrolton Ave
In the late 1800s theCivil District
Court was housed at the Presbytere
400 Royal Street CDC Courthouse was developed at
Loyola and Poydras in the mid 1950’s
The Civil District Court underwent
expansions/renovations in 1985